Our network of drivers, nutritional staff, community partners, volunteers, donors, and advocates are an impressive force against senior neglect and malnutrition.
Requirements for the Home-Delivered Meal Program:
- Meals-on-Wheels participants must be 60 years of age or older, homebound, and in need of assistance with daily activities
- Spouse of 60+ program participant
- Live in Calaveras County
The program cost per meal is $8.14. We are a nonprofit organization and we understand that not everyone has the ability to pay. Any contributing amount offered will help us to keep this program going.
No senior will be denied a meal for the inability to contribute.
Call us at (209) 223-3015 and we will take your application over the phone. Once your eligibility is determined, it may take a day or two before you start receiving your frozen meals.
The Benefits of Home Delivered Meals
Our Home-Delivered Meals program helps vulnerable older adults maintain a healthy lifestyle and remain living independently by providing nutritious meals, safety checks, and friendly social interaction.
Proper nutrition in older adults has many benefits, including:
- Maintaining health and wellbeing
- Improves health outcomes
- Reducing the risk for medical complications
- Reducing the prospect of hospital readmission
About the Meals
- Frozen meals are delivered once a week between 9:00am and 2:30pm.
- Each individually packaged meal exceeds one-third of the recommended dietary allowance for older adults.
FROZEN vs FRESH
Here is why Common Ground Senior Services provides frozen home-delivered meals:
- Frozen food has the same, if not better, nutritional value as fresh foods. Harvested produce is immediately flash-frozen and this preserves the nutrient content that is lost in hot and chilled meals.
- Maintaining the cold chain process from time of production until consumed is the best way to protect seniors from foodborne illness. With the cold chain process food temperatures do not reach the food safety “danger zone.”
- Food quality is more appealing with frozen home-delivered meals. Hot and chilled meals deteriorate over time and become mushy, discolored, bitter and dried out.
- Frozen home-delivered meals offer more flexibilty for seniors. With frozen meals, you can select the meal you want to eat – when you want to eat it.